There are many different ways to get involved with the 2017 MLK, Jr. Commemoration
Love to dance? Sing? Act? Speak? Write poetry? Paint? We need you!
The 2017 Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration is having a showcase competition titled “Silence Interrupted” on January 17th. This contest is designed to shed light on the women behind MLK (such as Dorothy Height) and members of the LGBTQ+ community (such as Bayard Rustin) who did not get recognized for their accomplishments as MLK’s platform increased. If you love to advocate for social justice while displaying your talents, please sign up to perform at the competition. There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners!
Link to application: http://tinyurl.com/MLKsilence
Application due December 11th.
Interested in Giving Back this MLK Day?
Join us for the MLK, Jr. Day of Service on January 16th from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Meet in Alumni Hall and disperse to various locations on campus and throughout the State College community to do service for the day. Be sure to wear warm clothes in case you are outside! T-shirt and Food provided!
Sign up at volunteer.psu.edu
If you are interested in volunteering to help make the 2017 MLK, Jr. Commemoration a success, contact Executive Director – Cameron Spiller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in the 2017 MLK Jr., Commemoration! We are looking for interested students to join one of four committees, which each plan, coordinate and carry out key elements of the annual celebration. Below, each committee has listed its main role, as well as some essential duties that you would be expected to assist with.
Campus Events Committee
Campus Events is in charge of organizing, planning, and executing various events that seek to unite Penn State’s community under the values that MLK presented. This committee is dedicated to creating and marketing events. If you’re good at marketing, organizing, or planning, please apply. This is a dedicated team and you will be expected to stick to your commitments.
- Assist with prompt for oratorical contest
- Assist with choosing judge/panel
- Set up the day of the event
- Working the door (sign in sheets/ name tags)
- Behind the stage organization
- Assist with choosing speakers
- Discussion leader on the day of the event
Time commitment – We will need to meet for an hour every week beginning two months before the actual event. Additionally, on the day of the event, you will need to be present two hours before the contest begins to assist with your duties listed above. The weekly meetings are MANDATORY.
Community & Faculty Outreach Committee
The community and faculty outreach committee is responsible for cultivating and developing partnerships and friendships with other community groups, conducting outreach activities and recruiting more people to the MLK community.
- Develop and maintain the relationship with other groups, e.g, local high schools
- Organize general meeting and events, e.g. meeting with people who are in charge of the local high schools and meeting with faculties who can bring their students to the showcase
- Persuading other groups to participating MLK commemoration, e.g. Penn State clubs working with arts-
- Finding potential local businesses or departments to support or sponsor
Day of Service Committee
This committee is responsible for the organization and planning of the annual MLK Jr. Day of Service. Participation on this committee will occur several levels: Pod Captain, Team Leader and General Member. Additional applications may be necessary for Pod Captain and Team Leader Positions. Further details will be provided to the committee as necessary.
- Securing sponsors and donors for the day of service
- Coordinating volunteer opportunities with local and regional business and organizations
- Working on promotional activities
- Pod captains will manage logistics for several volunteer sites and oversee each site’s Team Leaders
- Team Leaders will oversee groups of volunteers at their specific volunteer sites
Evening Celebration Committee
Description – Responsible for organizing the annual campus speaking event dedicated to the mission of Dr. King as well as the reception that occurs afterward for our Honoraria Speaker.
- Working with Advisors to secure a keynote speaker, booking accompanying performances
- Reserving and handling all logistics regarding spaces, ticketing, and promotion of the event throughout the year
- Handling the itinerary related to the speaker and developing the program for the event
- Writing the timeline for the Evening Celebration and its reception
- Will also work closely with Public Relations in order to promote the event
If you have any further questions please reach out to Executive Director – Cameron Spiller at email@example.com